The personalities of Siamese and Tonkinese are special and make for unique and wonderful companions but are sometimes accused of being loud or grumpy….
Siamese and Tonkinese cats and their relatives are very affectionate and talky. Not all affectionate cats are clingy or loud, but they may be, particularly when feeling stressed. One of the major reasons of stress in a cat’s life is separation anxiety. Cats can be much stressed when they feel that their “people” are leaving them!
You can reduce separation anxiety and increase kitty’s confidence and independence using the following tips:
- Leaving the radio or television on when you go out provides the illusion of company and masks frightening noises.
- Don’t make a fuss when leaving, and have keys ready for a quick exit.
- Giving kitty a favorite toy or treat before you leave distracts kitty and associates your departure with treat time.
- When returning home, ignore kitty for a few minutes, especially if kitty is demanding. Give attention only after kitty is calm.
- Providing a hideaway such as kitty condo, carrier, or box with a door gives kitty a safe retreat when alone and anxious. Add a piece of your clothing that has your comforting scent.
- Consider adopting a second kitty, but handle introductions properly.
To help needy cats become more confident and independent:
- Engage in interactive play rather than cuddling.
- Ignore demanding behavior. Set times for affection such before eating breakfast & evening during TV, and stick to your routines.
- If kitty begins to knead or suck on your clothing or earlobes, gently remove kitty from your lap, get up, and leave the room.
- Calming products such as Feliway help some kitties.
- Is needy kitty bored? Provide an enriched environment with plenty of toys, a cat tree, and a bird feeder view. Consider taking kitty with you on a leash to do fun things. This might help kitty relax when traveling to the vet.
Siamese and Tonkinese are very social and “dog like.” This means that, like dogs, they can be upset when their owners are gone unexpectedly. So, if your kitty is stressed about your leaving, try to use these tips above and try to use positive reinforcement to help your kitty to be “The Best Cat, Ever!.”